CubeSats System Overview
Cube Satellites such as any other satellites consist of two main components, Payload or (mission) and Bus (All subsystems which provide service to payload).
Taking in consideration of size, power budget, standards and launching requirements, the payload is limited to specific scientific research and usage due to such aspects.
The bus system consists of the following subsystems:
- Command and Data Handling (C&DH) or On-Board Computer (OBC).
- Electrical Power Unit (EPS).
- Attitude Control System (ADCS).
- Communications Subsystem.
KN-SAT1 Prototype Mission
- Design from scratch a fully functional CubeSat with its all subsystems following CubSats Standards.
- Take the research to practical implementation level & fulfillment of the plan.
The prototype of KN-Sat1p contains:
KN-SAT1p Design Approach:
- Design Specifications and Requirements ( CubeSat Standards)
- Space Environment
Design Specifications and Requirements (Standards):
- General Requirements
- Mechanical Requirements
- Electrical Requirements
- Operational Requirements
- Testing Requirements ( Random Vibration- Thermal Vacuum Bakout- Visual inspection- Qualification-Protoflight –Acceptance)
- Different than any Electronics Systems on Earth.
- Harsh Environment. ( LEO, Temp, Rad …)
- Immunity to Failure
- Its Challenging to Consider all these aspects in design ( you have to make a full satellite with minimum possible than huge ones).
- Lack of availability components and testing equipments.